1 pound brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus extra for seasoning
1 clove garlic, crushed 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Trim the sprouts by cutting off the stem end & peeling back a layer of leaves. Cut any large sprouts in half. Rinse sprouts in a bowl of cold water, and dry them with a clean towel.
3. Place sprouts in a single layer on a foil-lined cookie sheet and drizzle with oil. Toss to coat, and sprinkle generously with salt.
4. Bake for 45-55 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes, until crispy and tender. The outer leaves should be very dark, and the sprouts will be tender and fragrant when they are finished cooking.
5. During last 10 minutes of cooking, place sugar in a 12-inch frying pan over medium/high heat. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon until sugar is melted and amber colored. This should take about 2 – 3 minutes. Add 1⁄2 cup of very hot water (mixture will bubble), and stir until caramelized sugar is completely dissolved.
7. Arrange cooked Brussels sprouts on a serving dish and top with warm vinaigrette. Taste and season sprouts with additional lemon juice, salt and pepper before serving.