The richness of risotto is absolutely perfect for this time of year. I especially love how much the winter white theme of the Caramelized Supper Club comes through; the subtle sweetness of crab and hominy balance the sharp parmesan and bite of al dente arborio rice. Cozy up to a bowl with crisp white wine or champagne. You'll never forget this one!
2 cups arborio rice
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 cups chicken broth
1 small sweet onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, mined
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 can hominy, drained
8 ounces jumbo lump crab
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Sea salt and black pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a heavy saucepan and cook onions and garlic, stirring frequently, until onions become translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
2. Stir in the rice and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 3-4 minutes until grains begin to look translucent.
3. Add wine; cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Then, add about 1/2 cup of chicken broth to the rice mixture, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue to add more broth, about 1 cup, at a time and stir. The whole cooking process should take about 20-25 minutes.
4. The rice should be tender, but firm, or al dente, in the center. When the rice is done, remove the pan from the heat and stir in cheese, hominy, 4 ounces of crab, salt and pepper to taste. Stir until melted.
5. Transfer into small ovenproof bowls, garnishing each with an additional ounce of crab meat, salt and cracked black pepper. Before serving, place in the broiler for 1-2 minutes (optional).