Get this: There’s no cream in this extra summery, most spectacular pasta dish. The enriching sauce is crafted from puréed fresh corn and sautéed scallions, along with sharp Parmesan for depth. The pasta noodle's approachable yet elevated shape catches the extra corn kernels and torn fresh herbs beautifully. If you opt for a protein, crispy bacon crumbles or jumbo lump crab will effortlessly do the trick. A citrus-forward sauvignon blanc will tie in the lemon garnish quite nicely.
You've found your home run for summer dining! And thanks to Fix, you can order this meal kit in the greater Memphis area for next-day delivery. I hope you enjoy its flavor and textures as much as I do.
12 ounces dry orecchiette
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced (separate whites and greens)
4 ears corn, shucked and kernels removed (around 3 cups kernels)
Ground black pepper, more for serving
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, more for serving
3/4 cup jumbo lump crab
1/3 cup torn basil or mint, more for serving
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
Fresh lemon juice, as needed
1. Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until 1 minute shy of al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large sauté pan over medium heat; add scallion whites and a pinch of salt and cook until soft, 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water and all but 1 cup corn; simmer until corn is heated through and almost tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Then, transfer to a blender and purée mixture until smooth, adding a little extra water if needed to obtain a thick but pourable texture. Set aside.
3. Heat the same skillet over high heat. Melt butter, then add reserved corn and brown until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the corn purée and cook for 30 seconds to heat and combine the flavors. Lower heat to medium.
4. Add pasta and 1/4 cup pasta cooking water, tossing to coat. Add a bit more of the pasta cooking water if the mixture seems too thick. Stir in scallion greens, crab, Parmesan, most of the herbs, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with fresh lemon juice.
5. To serve, garnish with more scallions, herbs, a drizzle of olive oil and black pepper.