My second featured post on The Slender Student was posted last week!
These zucchini fries are a tasty and healthy alternative to fattening French fries. Whip these out for a quick appetizer or on burger night with friends—even the guys will enjoy them.
As Claire writes, this recipe will "have you questioning all of your foundational food beliefs–Are vegetables boring or awesome? Can I bread something other than chicken? I don’t have to fry my food to make it hot and crispy and sexy and delicious? Team Slender, blowin’ ya mind."
Thanks for featuring me, Slender Student! My role, as a member of Team Slender, keeps me in check so I'm not always going for the unhealthy option when ordering at restaurants or cooking in the kitchen...Still working on it, guys.
2 (12 oz.) zucchini, cut into 3-inch sticks
½ cup panko bread crumbs
¼ cup shredded Parmesan
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoon olive oil
2 egg whites
1. In a bowl, mix together panko bread crumbs, Parmesan, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, paprika and salt.
2. Add olive oil and mix with fingertips until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Toss in zucchini sticks and coat with egg whites.
4. Transfer sticks to bread crumb mixture, press crumbs onto zucchini and place on a baking sheet.
5. Bake at 450 degrees until golden and just tender, about 12 min. Serve immediately as an appetizer with marinara dipping sauce or with an all-star burger!
adapted from ladies’ home journal magazine