These, my friends, are the best Memphis burgers. I cannot select just one, as my hometown unsurprisingly challenges the identity and definition of an American classic. Whether Asian-inspired, French-inspired, or dive-bar inspired, you'll be blessed to bite into one of these during your weekend in town. Which do you most prefer?
1. KWIK CHEK, Bibimbap Burger Korean bibimbap takes new form -- Burger style. Spicy red Korean sauce and mayo are spread on either side of the grilled bun, then layered with steamed cucumber and bean sprouts, a slice of cheese cheese, and a sunny-side-up egg. The patty itself is most impressive and thoughtful -- chopped ribeye with a teriyaki-style marinade.
2. BABALU TACOS & TAPAS, Baba Burger Oddly enough, I prefer the burger over the "tacos" or "tapas" namesake. The fluffy sourdough bun hosts roasted roma tomatoes, truly divine caramelized onions, ripe avocado slices, applewood smoked bacon, and chipotle aioli alongside the natural angus beef.
3. EARNESTINE & HAZEL'S, Soul Burger Best enjoyed after midnight, the soul burger draws tourists and neighbors regularly in the South Main dive bar and lounge. Cheddar cheese, pickles, grilled onions, "soul sauce," and juicy patties grilled on the bar back define the establishment's rule, "Keep it simple, stupid."
4. FOLK'S FOLLY CELLAR LOUNGE, Gourmet Burger Taste the legend in a more casual form than the steakhouse's ribeye. A blend of renowned ground prime beef from Humphrey's Prime Cut Shoppe is prepared exclusively on weekend evenings in the Cellar Lounge (or for take-out).
5. CAFE 1912, 1912 Burger Spread with aromatic roasted garlic aioli, this hearty French bistro-style burger melts in your mouth, especially with crumbles of bacon and Maytag blue cheese. Parmesan pommes frites pile high on the side.
6. OSHI BURGER BAR, Oshi Burger Though other burgers on the menu are tasteful, this burger is named for the restaurant for a reason. Wagyu American Kobe beef is topped with soy glaze, shiitake tapenade, Swiss and housemade Umami mayo.