Passover is approaching this Friday, and thus I must part with the breads and pastas and pastries sprinkled throughout my kitchen. Though the point of the Passover diet (no leavened bread) is to empathize with the Exodus' story of courage and the struggle for freedom, I choose to not suffer next week and, instead, bask in culinary creativity.
Matzah doesn't have to taste like cardboard; and yes, croissants can wait until May. Here are a few Caramelized tips to appease your cravings:
1. Kick-start the day with avocado matzah toast.
2. Appease the sweet tooth with a homemade coconut almond macaroon.
3. Avoid bakeries (sorry, Porcellino's).
4. Invite friends for a bring-your-own wine and cheese night -- Who needs crackers, any way?
5. Throw a matzah s'mores soiree with a fire pit.
6. If you're in Memphis and tiring of eating at home, try the Passover menu at Strano.