Summer is just one season, but my love for sweet summer corn will never fade. My corn orecchiette is on rotation, boasting unmatched naturally sweet flavors folded into an herby, cheesy, pasta-y centerpiece. For this corn occasion, I sought a comfort food to soothe my seasonal sinuses. The sweet summer additive brought a crunch and punch to a traditional pot of Italian risotto. This recipe is also the perfect solution for leftover, almost-bad, half-empty white wine from your last backyard dinner party.
Watch, learn, and order with FIX to deliver this meal to your doorstep! FIX is a new service in Memphis that offers unprecedented choice, next-day delivery, serving size flexibility, and quality — all without a subscription.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup arborio rice
½ cup dry white wine
6 cups chicken stock
1 ½ cups raw corn kernels (from about 2 ears corn)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup grated pecorino cheese
2 tablespoons fresh basil, sliced in ribbons
1/4 cup microgreens
1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in Staub or Le Creuset pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add rice, cooking until slightly translucent for 2 minutes.
2. Pour in wine and stir until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup chicken stock to pot, stirring constantly, until rice has absorbed all stock. Continue cooking, adding another portion of stock whenever rice mixture looks dry and stirring constantly.
3. When 3 cups of stock have been added, stir in raw corn. Continue cooking until all of the stock is incorporated, corn is tender and rice is creamy and tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Remove risotto from heat and stir in pecorino and remaining tablespoon of butter. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp in an even layer, seasoning with salt and cooking untouched for 2-3 minutes. Then flip and cook for 2 minutes more.
6. To serve, ladle risotto in bowls. Top with 3-4 shrimp, basil, and microgreens. Add flaky sea salt and pepper to finish. Serve warm.